IT consulting is a tough gig that certainly isn’t for the faint of heart, especially when things go wrong. Unfortunately, IT consultants sometimes make it even tougher on themselves by making mistakes. Here are just a few of the mistakes I’ve seen consultants make:
- External backup hard disk formatted FAT32 (which cannot create a file larger than 4 GB).
- Battery backups rolled out with no heartbeat communications cable installed, or critical equipment plugged in to surge-only outlets.
- Client and server systems installed with no antivirus software.
- Firewalls carefully configured but the WAN circuit plugged into an unprotected Ethernet port rather than the router’s firewalled port.
- Ethernet cables improperly terminated.
- Incorrect operating systems installed.